“Soap Box Duo is a vibrant husband and wife team writing catchy, melody-filled tunes that have been able to capture all types of audiences. Be sure to catch a live show to feel the energy this duo brings to a room.”
— Jen Perry, ID VIP Team, The Red Cannons
Alexander and Jenesa MacMullin are a Canadian pop duo with a folk undertone, combined with hints of both rock and jazz. Since coming onto the scene early fall of 2015 this prolific pair has saturated the Edmonton and area music scene, playing more than 300 live performances to date! The powerhouse vocalist and innovative guitarist met at jazz school in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Their unique sound is influenced by the music of The Civil Wars, John Mayer, Amy Winehouse and Aretha Franklin, to name a few. Their passion is to use music as their ‘soap box’ to encourage and inspire others toward justice. The couple writes and performs about topics that stir their hearts, from personal experiences to being an empathetic voice for the burdened. They create catchy melodies and unique instrumentation as a foundation for their lyrics; lyrics that they hope will be both heard and felt by their listeners.
Since January 2016, the couple has;
- Released 2 official music videos
- Recorded & released their first EP
- Appeared on Shaw Television
- Featured on multiple radio stations including CBC Radio 1
- Toured across Western Canada
- Featured in over 20 print and online publications, including Vue Weekly and Starlight Music Chronicles
- Produced and released the Heritage Session series of live-off-the-floor videos on YouTube; a vintage take on various modern and original songs
- Attended the Judy Stakee Songwriters Retreat on Bowen Island, BC, Canada.
- Filmed and produced a documentary in Haiti to bring awareness to the beauty of the country, to illustrate the current state of affairs and to inspire others to pursue their passions
- Produced, promoted and performed a concert at the 300-seat Horizon Stage Theatre
- Currently developing a school tour in partnership with Indie Connect and Little Warriors to be launched in fall 2018
Recognition and Awards:
- Nominated for the GMA’s 38th Covenant Award for “New Artist of the Year” for 2016
- Finalist in the Los Angeles Top Vocalist competition and the New York John Lennon Songwriting Contest for their track, “Kissed the Girls”
- Nominated for the Edmonton Music Award for the “Adult Alternative Recording of the Year” for 2016 for their song "Complexion"
- Showcased at B.B. Kings in Nashville, TN as part of CD Baby's DIY Musicians Conference in August 2017
- Received 1st place the My United Way Voice competition for their song "Greenback"