Alexander and Jenesa MacMullin are a Canadian vintage pop duo with a little pinch of jazz sensibility. Coming onto the scene in early fall of 2015, this prolific pair emerged on the Edmonton music scene with great success. Finishing off a busy year of live shows, video recording, radio segments and touring, the excitement won’t be ending for Soap Box Duo! The couple has played over 300 live performances to date and are now heading out on their second Western Canadian Tour in spring followed by a school tour beginning in the fall. The duo is currently in studio recording their sophomore album, due to be released in June 2018.
The powerhouse vocalist and innovative guitarist met in jazz school in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. There they discovered their shared passion for using music as their ‘soap box’ to inspire others toward justice. After surviving nearly a decade of childhood sexual abuse, Alexander now ventures to give a voice to the growing epidemic. They both hold this cause and other philanthropic endeavours very close to their hearts. Soap Box Duo just traveled to Haiti this fall to produce a documentary that showed the beauty of the people and country while highlighting a few organizations that are doing great work there. Audiences can see their activism and hear in the depth of their lyrics and music just how passionate the two are about making the world a better place.Since January 2016, the couple has:
- Released 2 official music videos
- Recorded & released an EP with producer Jared Salte of The Royal Foundry
- Appeared on Shaw Television, CTV and Global Television
- Featured on multiple radio stations including CBC Radio 1
- Toured across Western Canada
- Featured in over 20 print and online publications, including Vue Weekly and Starlight Music Chronicles
- Produced and released the Heritage Session series of live-off-the-floor videos on YouTube; a vintage take on various modern and original songs
- Attended the Judy Stakee Songwriters Retreat on Bowen Island, BC, Canada
- Traveled to Nashville, TN to attend CD Baby's DIY Musicians Conference
- Filmed and produced a documentary in Haiti to bring awareness to the beauty of the country, to illustrate the current state of affairs and to inspire others to pursue their passions
- Produced, promoted and performed a concert at the 300-seat Horizon Stage Theatre
- Received 1st place the My United Way Voice Contest
- Recorded first full length album due for release summer 2018
- Currently developing a school tour, in partnership with Indie Connect, that will launched in August 2018. This program produces assembly concerts with music and personal stories that help students deal with critical life issues
Recognition and Awards
- Nominated for the GMA's 38th Covenant Award for the "New Artist of the Year" for 2016
- Finalist in the Los Angeles Top Vocalist competition and the New York John Lennon Songwriting Contest for their track, “Kissed the Girls”
- Nominated for the Edmonton Music Award for the “Adult Alternative Recording of the Year” for 2016 for their song "Complexion"
- Showcased at B.B. Kings in Nashville, TN as part of CD Baby's DIY Musicians Conference in August 2017
- 1st place winners of the My United Way Voice Contest for their song "Greenback"